Hello and welcome to the City of Albuquerque, Department of Senior Affairs, 50+ Sports and Fitness Program February and March blog! We’re combining these months to get information out more quickly. As with the January blog, we’ll let you know what is happening, what you missed the previous month, and what’s coming next month.
What you missed…
Winter Sports Competitions
The winter sports included competitions in cross-country skiing, downhill skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, and ice hockey.
- Fantastic Freeze Fest (January 29th) was held at Sandia Peak Ski Area. This competition included both 1K and 3K individual cross-country ski races and 1K and 100 Meter individual snowshoe races.
- Hockey Tournament (February 2nd) was held at the Outpost Ice Arena. The games were played in accordance with the rules of the 30-30 Hockey League with no checking or slap shots. Here are some photos of the event.
- Downhill Slalom Race and Poker Run (February 5th) was held at the Santa Fe Ski Area. It included a modified giant slalom and poker run. The following photos show the slalom event.
What’s happening now…
In addition to the ongoing cross-county ski, snowshoe, downhill ski, and snowboard day trips which end mid‑March, the following activities are now open for registration.
- Swimming Workshop will be held Saturday March 5th at West Mesa Aquatic Center 12:00 pm Saturday. You must register by February 26th. There is no cost for this workshop. For more information contact Tim Wilde at 269-0645. This is one of the Compete and Meet events. Competition will be held March 20th.
- ABQ 50+ Games registration is now open for the Air Gun Workshop, Cycling Workshop, Bowling, Basketball (3 Point &Free Throw), Eight Ball Pool, Talent Show & Dance, Shuffleboard, Swimming, Racquetball, Table Tennis events. To participate, you must register by 5:00 pm, Tuesday, March 1, 2011. NOTE: Albuquerque 50+ Games does not mail reminder notices. It is the responsibility of each participant to make note of the time and place of each event and to arrive before the scheduled time.
- Walk About Albuquerque Session 1 Monday March 21st and Wednesday March 23rd. This is a series of six walks using walking poles which are provided by the city. Transportation by van is included in the $15 fee as well as a pedometer and entrance fees to the Nature Center, Botanical Park, and Zoo. This is a great way to meet new people, to get some moderate exercise, and to become familiar with Albuquerque and Bernalillo.
Mark your calendars and be sure to reserve your spot for the Track and Field workshop and 50+ Games.
- Track and Field Workshop April 10, 2011 11:00am-2:00pm at Albuquerque Academy, Track
- Albuquerque 50+ Games April Events: Air Gun, Huachas, Roadrace, Pickleball, 5K Race Walk, Racquetball, Badminton, Archery, Talent Show, and Dance.
- Member Appreciation Day April 1st 7:00am to 7:00pm (6th Anniversary). Goodies will be served.
Our winter sports season runs from January 11th to March 30th this year. There are even some overnight trips. Please reserve your spot early because events fill up quickly. To reserve your spot, bring a check or cash to Palo Duro Sports and Fitness Center at 3351 Monroe NE, Albuquerque, NM 87110 (map).
Visit us on YouTube and Facebook…
YouTube at: http://www.Youtube.com/FitOverFiftyABQ
Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/FitoverFiftyAlbq
Until next month…
Until next month…
I leave you with this: “In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.” Abraham Lincoln
Join us and stay active!!!!
For more information, see our catalog http://www.cabq.gov/seniors/50-sports-and-fitness-catalog or call us at (505) 880-2800.